Monday, July 16, 2012

The Bridal Shower Review!

Hey "y'all"

      So this past Sunday I went to my future aunt's bridal shower and it was great!!  She was so surprised and it was really nice getting to finally meet some of her friends that will be attending the wedding as well.  Everything about the party was well thought out and put together and I am looking foward to my uncle and future aunt's wedding!  I am so happy for them!  With that being said, as fun as I had at the bridal shower, I did pick up on a few flaws of the guests (unfortunately guests on my side of the family...oooops) during the bridal shower.  Unfortunately, these flaws are common and most definitely common within my family; but, I guess it's a good thing that most of us know better so we know for the future not to make these mistakes.  I don't actually know if these were flaws or just pet peeves of mine lol; so, I looked up in one of my Emily Post's Etiquette books (18th edition) to find some answers.  I love these books as a guide for manners, it covers all of my questions and gives such helpful information and of course it has answers to the "flaws" and I wanted to share them with you. 

The following excerpt is from Emily Post's Etiquette 18th Edition (p.255)
[Being A Good Guest]
As important as it is to be a good host.
~good guest manners begin the minute you recieve the invitation
~once you've committed there is NO turning back unless there is a very good reason to
~if you are wondering if you can bring a guest, the invitation would have specified

Guest Manners 101
~Arrive on time
~TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE!!  ( Jane:  a big pet peeve of mine, especially when seen at the dinner table...however, it's good to know it's not just one of my many weird pet peeves lol)
~Be considerate (go outside to smoke, wipe your feet, or stay home if you have a cold)
~Be complimentary (about the food, decor, the house, etc...)
~Respect your host's trust (don't snoop around, and if you break something, tell the host immediately and offer to pay for it)
~Be a willing participant (offer to help serve the food for instance)
~Try not to overindulge
~offer to help when you can
~unless invited in, keep clear of the kitchen
~Don't switch place cards
~Leave with the group
~Thank your hosts on the way out

A note from Jane:  it's always good to return the favor or at least with a thank you note or a little hostess gift.  I try to always offer to make or bring something to the host's house because I feel awkward sometimes walking in empty handed lol.

I hope y'all had a good day and found this information to be helpful!  Thank you for tuning in!
Country Song of the Day:  "Takin' Pills" by Pistol Annies...The music video just came out and I love it lol so I thought I'd post it today!

Sweetly,
Jane


Emma(Left), Kerri/bride-to-be(Center), and Me!
This was the three of us at the bridal shower on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment